[LINK] website animations

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Aug 14 11:07:59 AEST 2007

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> Given the interest that a talking-animation seems to generate
> for a website, <http://www.sitepal.com/> (check out her eyes)
> I'm guessing that in future websites will have animated hosts

Think back to 2001: A Space Odyssey. I am glad that HAL did not
have a facial persona.

A few years back in Melbourne at the AV/Arts center near SBS
just off Flinders St was an amazing presentation in the basement
of the gallery. The artist (cannot remember his name!!) created
an *interactive* talking animation. The viewer typed in sentences
(usually questions) and the animation answered and kept the
conversation going. Way ahead of its time. I got stuck in this
gallery for about an hour, talking to this thing. Great fun.

> It's early days, <http://www.circuschallenge.com/index.html> but
> I can see a pop-up google-mam animation hosting whole site visits?

Yup ... it is easier than reading the info, isn't it? I find
it slightly amusing and a bit weird that when this thing stops
talking it sits there blinking and nodding from side to side,
in an attempt to give it a real look.

cheers
rickw