[LINK] Flexible Architecture Research Center System

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Aug 14 11:23:21 AEST 2007

Tom Worthington wrote:

> "Systems such as MIT iCampus have shown the value of flexible learning
> centers
> <http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/07/mit-icampus-looks-usable-in-australia.html>.
> The Link Institute has taken this one step further with flexible
> architecture  for research. Our new building design literally changes it
> shape in response to the research undertaken.

Terry Gilliam and team designed and implemented FARCS in the
feature film Brazil <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/>  some
twenty-two years ago. Office space changed size according to
unknown parameters, probably related to productivity.

As well, Dylan Moran wrote of and implemented a domestic FARCS
environment in an episode of the cult TV series Black Books
<http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/B/blackbooks/>
when Fran's flat changed shape according to the activities of
her next door neighbour.

Neither Gilliam or Moran are or will be available for comment.

cheers
rickw