[LINK] Skype and VoIP

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Fri Aug 17 17:09:40 AEST 2007

On 17/08/2007, at 2:48 PM, Paul Brooks wrote:

> Stilgherrian wrote:
>> On 17/8/07 9:04 AM, "Ivan Trundle" <ivan at itrundle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You're right, though, Stil - but in this instance, millions of
>>> people
>>> have been affected by the outage, whereas the examples you've quoted
>>> aren't quite so omnipresent in their impact.
>>>
>>> Our expectations are often tempered by track records: my
>>> neighbour is
>>> without heating - again - for another week because of an equipment
>>> failure, but on past experience, he shrugs and says 'it'll be fixed
>>> eventually'.
>>>

>> This is true enough. However the "experience" is often based on
>> "my personal
>> experience so far" rather than the overall reality.
>>
>> An example is hard disc failure. Many people happily continue with
>> no data
>> backups because the hard drive has worked perfectly so far. Of
>> course, it
>> can fail completely, and without warning.
>>
> Was I the only one that picked up an an additional line in Stil's

It was actually me that installed the beta, but that's not what
caused the outage (it was in the software algorithms that they wrote
for their server, not the client).

There is still no resolution at this moment, though they claim it to
be 'slightly better off'.

http://heartbeat.skype.com/

(Nice page, but essentially useless)

iT