[LINK] Skype and VoIP

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Tue Aug 21 07:43:37 AEST 2007

On 21/8/07 6:11 AM, "Kim Holburn" <kim.holburn at gmail.com> wrote:
> He he!!  It was caused by --- millions of windows systems all
> patching and rebooting at the same time:
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070820-giant-synchronized-
> reboot-windows-update-smokes-skype.html>
> <http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2007/08/
> what_happened_on_august_16.html>
>
> Windows strikes again.

Erm, while this does put me in the unlikely position of defending
Microsoft...

Microsoft Tuesday, with "millions of windows systems all patching and
rebooting at the same time", happens every month. It's not a secret. So
Skype's login logs would show this, presumably, if they'd looked. And their
new system should have taken it into account if they'd have thought of it.

OK, obviously they didn't think of it. Big oops. But now they know.

Blaming only Microsoft, only one endpoint of the network connection, seems
unfair and perhaps propagandistic.

If it happens again, to *any* major software provider, *then* we can point
and laugh and say "You tossers, you didn't learn from History, did you!"

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia