[LINK] mobile phone video

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Aug 22 09:46:19 AEST 2007

At 12:37 PM 20/08/2007, Adam Todd wrote:
>...I suppose for those who are in mobile homes and on the road, a 7"
>wide screen TV and a radio/dvd/tv/DVB-H receiver might be pretty cool. ...

There is a whole industry supplying computers and screens designed to
fit in vehicles. There are even books on the subject. See my "Build a
Car PC" <http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2006/12/build-car-pc.html>.

At a more technical level the US Vehicle Infrastructure Integration
(VII) Initiative <http://www.vehicle-infrastructure.org/WhatsVII.htm>
is looking to standardize a vehicle communication system for safety
applications:

"Version 1.1 of the VII Architecture and Functional Requirements
(dated July 20, 2005) is available and was outlined at a public
meeting in late July 2005. This high level architecture, based upon
DSRC as a communications medium, describes the functional
requirements of the proposed system, which is further divided into 4
elements (the vehicle, roadside infrastructure, and a network for
each of public and private uses). The development of the VII
Architecture remains a dynamic process, which reflects the complex
nature of the VII technical and institutional issues."

But if the consumers can get around the safety interlocks which
prevent you from watching TV while driving, the in-car screens may
cause many more accidents than they prevent.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml