[LINK] auDA Public Board Meeting - Monday Aug 13 - Sydney [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Evan.ARTHUR at Dest.gov.au Evan.ARTHUR at Dest.gov.au
Wed Aug 22 10:00:11 AEST 2007

Kim Davies wrote:

<<I believe AICTEC has decided only to have a single registrar for
.edu.au (called Education.Au) so there is no competition in service. The
registry operator is AusRegistry (the same registry provider used for
.com.au and some others), but that is through the choice of the managers
of .edu.au and they could use another registry operation if they
desired.

One of my hats is chair of the Australian ICT in Education Committee and
its edu.au subcommittee eDAC. Basically this is a representative body
pulling together the higher ed, VET and schools sectors.  I have replied
off line to Glenn about the particular issues he has raised.

Kim is right that the education sector decided to have a single
registrar for the edu.au space.  Education.au is a not for profit
company owned by the Commonwealth and State and Territory Education
Ministers.

It is not quite correct to say the education sector chose to use
AusRegistry as the registry provider.  All registrars in the .au space
are required to use AusRegistry as part of their licence agreement with
auDA.

Evan Arthur
Group Manager
Innovation and Research Systems Group
Department of Education, Science and Training

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED