[LINK] Labor pledges to kill off Access Card

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Aug 29 10:06:43 AEST 2007

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> <brd>
> Labor doesn't seem to have said what it would do instead of the Access Card.
>
> One of the problems it was supposed to have addressed was that the existing Medicare card system needs replacing. It's old technology and
> there are too many fraudulent cards out there.
>
> Maybe they will just replace the Medicare Card with a smart card. That doesn't need legislation, so they can just get on with it.
> </brd>

Not to mention that Medicare was one of Federal Labor's greatest achievements.

However, the medicare card itself now seems irrelevant - bulk billing (except
perhaps in the proposed NSW GP clinics) seems to have virtually disappeared and
this was its original purpose.

There is also the private health insurance system to now be integrated.

And also the integration of medical records. did this make it to link?
Ellison unlocks Medicare databases - MEDICARE patient and provider databases
will be key sources of a healthcare identifier regime to support a shift to
e-health programs.
<http://www.australianit.com.au/story/0,,22318001-5013040,00.html?from=public_rss>

Marghanita

--