[LINK] Blackle increases power use with small LCD monitors

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:16:29 AEDT 2007

On 2007/Nov/27, at 8:14 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:
> My large Dell monitor uses 51 W with an image and 7 W in standby
> mode. I discovered that if I unplug the keyboard and mouse from the
> USB hub built into the monitor, the standby power drops to less
> than 1 Watt.

I use my Dell as a powered USB hub, with keyboard and mouse and
headphones left plugged in.  If I didn't use the monitor I'd probably
use a powered hub and it would have a wall wart.  This immediately
got me to thinking: how much power do those little plug-in
transformers actually draw?  I have quite a bit of stuff with them.
Sometimes the equipment is off but the wall wart is still plugged
in.  I imagine some of the newer very small switching power supplies,
like phone chargers, use much less power when not in use but I don't
have the equipment to test it.

Kim
--
Kim Holburn