[LINK] Why www.etc?

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Thu Dec 6 11:22:53 AEDT 2007

On 06/12/2007, at 10:52 AM, Glen Turner wrote:

> Filesystem names in UNIX run from least specific to most specific.
> <snip>
>
> Web URLs, stripped down to basics, are
>  method://server/filename
> There are strong engineering advantages to handing the unmodified
> server name to DNS and the unmodified filename to the web server.
> One of the under-appreciated aspect of the WWW is its no-nonsense
> approach to design -- simple, but enough to do the job. The low
> number of restrictions of the format of filename allowed it to
> be implemented by a huge range of operating systems (usually
> converting "/" into the operating system's directory separator
> was the major munge the WWW server had to do).

It's really only the /server/ part that got me intrigued. '/
abc.net.au/' in the context of URLs not logical, no matter which way
it is viewed.

It is an anomaly not unlike the American penchant (and now heavily
adopted by journalists in this country) of mangling date formats into
MM/DD/YYY.

iT

--
Ivan Trundle
http://itrundle.com ivan at itrundle.com
ph: +61 (0)418 244 259 fx: +61 (0)2 6286 8742
skype: callto://ivanovitchk