[LINK] Blackle increases power use with small LCD monitors

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Fri Dec 7 12:03:10 AEDT 2007

At 08:24 AM 7/12/2007, Tom Worthington wrote:
>At 06:16 PM 4/12/2007, Kim Holburn wrote:
>
>It might be interesting to see if the Chinese approach was taken,
>where mobile phones are charged from USB plugs, if this would save
>power. You would need just one mains adaptor to power one hub to
>charge all you gadgets. That would save having lots of plugpacks.
>But if that one larger supply is powered all the time, would it use
>more electricity?

I already do this and have been for some years.  I avoid anything
that isn't 5 Volt, 9 Volt or 12 Volt or doesn't have a USB port for charging.

I'd have to say that it doesn't 'save' power if you are using your
laptop USB because you drain your battery faster, and if you have
external power connected, you just draw a little more.

As to using a USB hub, most require a USB Host to be connected before
they will activate any of the ports.  Plugging two phones in is
unlikely to do much other than consume power at the wall wart plug
pack which does nothing beneficial.

I have again, purchased 9 Volt and 12 Volt USB hubs that run of our
solar batteries 24 x 7.  It's not a lot of drain and the solar panel
delivers more power than we consume during the day.  Having the extra
batteries means that the extra power is consumed, but presently all
batteries to full.

We're running a fridge, Digital Set Top Box, LCD Panel, a couple of
laptops, some lights, chargers for AA and AAA batteries, chargers for
mobile phones.

Panels are cheap now, and to be honest I can't see any reason why
every house hold can't have 2 or 3 on the roof adding a new deep
cycle battery every few months by saving those extra few dollars.

Building the system is cheap and easy.

I will admit, panels in Australia are nearly double the price
elsewhere.  Primarily because we have the 50% government rebate.

Just like Health Insurance went up 30% when the rebate was
introduced, Solar systems jumped as well.

Strangely when the baby bonus was introduced, Mid Wives upped their
fees, and when the Babu Bonus jumped from $1500 to $3000, so did the
midwife fees.  We didn't use a midwife for our last birth, did it
ourselves :)  So we had a nice bonus to put towards baby's future.