[LINK] One Laptop per Child Doesn't Change the World

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Mon Dec 10 12:47:53 AEDT 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007, Adam Todd wrote:
> At 10:23 AM 10/12/2007, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>
> >and water, you need food and water, not communications/education.
> >BUT if the basic need is fulfilled enough to allow you to move to
> >the next level, education can exponentially increase your ability to
> >get more food and water, then more education, then health and
> >medicine, etc. Education is a powerful enabler.
>
> Yes I suppose if you are in the middle of a desert with a laptop,
> water and food, a four day walk from the nearest local store that
> sells, well, water and food, you can exponentially increase your
> prosperity - the store might give you a job and pay you some money so
> you can spend it - at the store!

Of course, there's been earlier attempts at all of this - instead of
this kind of discussion what about quoting some research into the
effectiveness of education versus resource assistance (ie, teaching
versus food/water), along with some information from the attempts
at "computering" some rural areas in India?

Adrian