[LINK] Blackle increases power use with small LCD monitors

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Dec 12 08:27:41 AEDT 2007

At 03:17 PM 7/12/2007, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>>... ASUS Eee PC has a 9.5 Volt 2.315 Amp supply. So 9.5 X 2.315 =
>>22 Watts. ...
>
>... It is likely that the transformer drops the mains to something
>greater than 12V and is then regulatd to 9.5V. ...

No, this is a switched mode power supply. They work by adjusting the
timing of the switching to regulate the voltage for greater
efficiency
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply#How_an_SMPS_works>.

>That means that the ASUS Eee PC is probably drawing closer to 30 Watts ...

No, I have measured the ASUS Eee power consumption at the mains
socket. It was 23 Watt while charging the battery and 14 Watt once
charged (measured to the nearest Watt)
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/12/asus-eee-pc-first-impressions.html>.

ps: The new government's policy includes thin client computers for
schools. An item in The Australian on Tuesday made this out to be a
new development
<http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22902563-15306,00.html>.
But it was in the ALP policy statement "A Digital Education
Revolution", 14th November 2007
<http://www.alp.org.au/download/now/labors_digital_education_revolution_campaign_launch.pdf>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU