[LINK] RFC: emailing to <username>@<IP-Address>

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Dec 12 14:44:40 AEDT 2007

At 18:58 +0100 10/12/07, Kim Holburn wrote:
>This is on Page 37 of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt
>
>       address-literal = "[" IPv4-address-literal /
>                             IPv6-address-literal /
>                             General-address-literal "]"
>             ; See section 4.1.3
>
>Many modern email servers will simply reject this but it is part of the RFC.

Very handy on-link and off-link feedback thanks everyone!

I posted a version of the above to my class (with some background
info, in order to help the less technical people in the group tune
in).

The tutor politely agreed, but added:

FYI, another reference is in Section 6.2.3 in RFC822,
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc822.txt:

*******************
Domain-literals which refer to domains within the ARPA  Internet
 specify  32-bit  Internet addresses, in four 8-bit fields noted in
decimal, as described in Request for  Comments  #820, "Assigned
Numbers."  For example:

[10.0.3.19]

Note:  THE USE OF DOMAIN-LITERALS IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.  It is
 permitted  only  as  a means of bypassing temporary system
limitations, such as name tables which are not complete.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong