[LINK] How can Microsoft stop us hating them?

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 20:46:09 AEDT 2007

Microsoft have a lot of money and they can and do use it to create
lots of "grass-roots" support.

They should try innovating instead of locking people into their
software.

They should stop pressure on OEMs to bundle Windows with every
machine, locking out every other OS.

They could simplify their licensing arrangements.

They should accept responsibility for the security problems on
windows.  If they had to pay for fixing the security issues maybe
something would get done about them.  If they had to pay for the
wasted time and resources, cpu cycles for anti-virus, anti-malware
and include it in their costings we might see some action.  When I
can run an out of the box windows system without AV like I can with
other operating systems then I'll believe MS has fixed this issue and
not before.

They should stop bundling a non-standards compliant web browser with
their operating system.
Ditto for media player.

They should open their protocols and APIs and allow real
interoperability ie allow third party servers.  When we see real
third party domain controllers we will know that this has happened
and not before, despite all the rhetoric.

They should stop funding law suits against linux and threatening
linux with legal issues.

They should stop illegal interference in world standards bodies.