[LINK] Another Rudd for the future ...

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Dec 14 13:14:55 AEDT 2007

At 12:46 PM 14/12/2007, Eleanor Lister wrote:
>oh, i see, "reports" good, "studies" bad ... there's a difference?
>
>may one suggest that since the scientific evidence on climate change is
>fully developed and prescriptive, that KR is trying to take a big
>lungful of air before he has to confront big business on carbon emission
>reduction, which will no doubt be a painful process for all parties
>concerned.

KR has already shown he accepts the scientific evidence that climate
change is real. But the range of 25-40% is not exactly prescriptive,
but indicative. The choices made in Australian policy for where we
put an interim target within that range should depend on a number of
aspects to allow for transition, not falling off a cliff. That's
hopefully what the Garnoud report will provide. Would you rather he
just agree to the 40%?

There is time to get the results of the report. Labor paid for it,
not the government. It was commissioned BEFORE the election. I reckon
Rudd should get some major brownie points for that move.

Credit where credit is due, please.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Living, like writing, requires no wisdom. Only revising does. - Jim
Sollisch, Sept, 2007
'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005