[LINK] NetAlert Campaign 'truth' finally coming out

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Sat Dec 15 09:40:53 AEDT 2007

I have to disagree with this, though not in defence of a past
government edict.

As a parent of offspring who use the net extensively, I am aware of
the significance of a 'friend of a friend' - which is simply a
euphemism for 'someone I don't know'. In every sense, they are a
'stranger', and in the IM world, a friend of a friend is not at all
equivalent to someone you might, say, meet at a party by way of a
friend's introduction.

I've not seen the survey in question, so it's hard to deduce what the
results imply, and to be perfectly honest, I think that the perception
of what parents might find 'alarming' is open to considerable
interpretation. Having had to assess proxy logs in a medium-sized work
environment, there is no doubt that a good deal of net activity would
be considered 'alarming', both at home and in the workplace...

What kids/young adults/adults say in a loaded survey of online
behaviour is one thing, and what they actually do is something often
entirely different.

All said and done, I'm no fan of NetAlert: the principle here is for
parents to take more interest and control, rather than abrogating
their responsibilities to the government of the day. And the same goes
for the workplace.

iT