Australia to enforce a "ratings system" on web, track users (was Re: [LINK] Has anyone seen this...)

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Dec 25 18:19:03 AEDT 2007

Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 01:24:35PM +0100, Kim Holburn wrote:
>>> One reader who contacted Ars lamented the fact that adults will have to
>>> give up a little privacy to be in compliance, too. Users will prove their
>>> age by supplying their full names and either a credit card or digital
>>> signature approved for online use. Content publishers are even required by
>>> law to keep records of who accessed R18+ content and with what credentials
>>> for a period of two years. Of course, such systems are also susceptible to
>>> gaming. Little Jimmy only needs to find a willing adult, or barring that,
>>> momma's credit card to get online. Identity fraud with a credit card isn't
>>> exactly rocket science.
>
> this will also make identity fraud a lot easier too, as now there will
> be numerous web sites which are required by law to store people's credit
> card numbers for two years (if they used a CC to "prove" their
> identity).

Isn't it obvious that there is no reliable method to prove one's age on
the Internet? "No-one knows you're a dog."

seasons greetings,
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Say what you will about the miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider
a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile.
     -- Howard W Campbell in Kurt Vonnegut Jr's "Mother Night"