[LINK] OT: The Singular 'They'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Dec 27 09:22:01 AEDT 2007

I've occasionally had to defend the use of the singular 'they',
'them' and 'their', as in 'A person should energetically defend their
interests'.

The main reason I use it is to avoid such ghastly constructs as (s)he
and him/her, thrust upon us by gender political correctness advocates.

I've just tripped over a valuable publication, from back in 1995 by,
of all organisations, the Clth Attorney-General's Dept:
http://www.editorscanberra.org/they.htm

The Oxford cites a use of the singular 'they' as far back as 1526 and
indicates use earlier than that.  And Fowler (1926) approved of it.

Others may want to have the URL in their files too ...

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong