[LINK] Onus on providers to clean up web content

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Dec 31 17:58:40 AEDT 2007

At 05:25 PM 31/12/2007, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>A report by the Australia Institute in 2003 showed 84 per cent of
>boys and 60 per cent of girls using the internet had experienced
>unwanted exposure to sexual material.

define sexual. Is this the same survey that asked people if they had
been contacted by a stranger? Probably.

so what? That happened to me today [the explicit sexual activity
type]. It was very explicit. There was no indication what was behind
the link because it was from a member posted link that just said
'web' on a forum. Some members labeled that their interest was porn
[it was a free speech/privacy anonymisation service]. Many had dead links.

As many of us said in the days of Senator Dick, the best way to deal
with this is as Dale said in his reply: parents should prepare and
teach their children. The government filter will NOT stop this stuff,
no matter how hard they try.

>Australians who want uncensored access to the web will have to
>contact their internet service provider and "opt out" of the service.

So who do I write to to take out the filter? I'm with Internode. I'll
look at their website, but if anyone knows, please advise. I know we
have many linkers who use Internode.

Thanks,
Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Living, like writing, requires no wisdom. Only revising does. - Jim
Sollisch, Sept, 2007
'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005