[LINK] Solution to SPAM checking

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Thu Feb 1 14:14:54 AEDT 2007

At 01:14 PM 1/02/2007, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 01, 2007, Adam Todd wrote:
>
> > Many of us who are mobile already use authentication between the random
> > remote user and the SMTP server to verify that the inbound mail to be
> > processed is in fact coming from an authenticated and approved source, and
> > then that user is in fact allowed to use the SMTP server for mail
> > transmission.
>
>That may stop people from spamming with forged from: addresses, but it
>won't stop spam:
>
>* spammer registers domain(s);
>* spammer sets up DNS for domains on botnet-owned hosts;
>* spammer sets up authentication for domain on said hosts;
>* spammser sends lot of mail

Yes I agree, but in my analysis of all the spam I get, and the "bounces"
that come back to me because my address' are used, none of the above would
actually enable the messages to be RECEIVED by the SMTP server handing the
RX at all.

My Email address is NOT authentic at ANY of the above.

So fraud use of my address puts an end to that.

SPAM I receive, usually comes from an address that is being used
fraudulently from a server that has not authority to send the message in
the first place.

So the only spam that is going to get through is that which is sent from a
host with a domain name that is registered to the host and for which an
address is created for that host.

Won't take long to block those!  We've spent ten years doing just that
often on a one by one basis for known dialup IP's and domain names anyway.

I don't get too much spam from a domain name that has been set up by spamer
and an email address within the spamers domain name :)