[LINK] For-profit publishers getting ready to trash-talk open access

Brendan Scott brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 1 15:52:28 AEDT 2007

Glen Turner wrote:
> Nature
> 2007-01-24, corrected 2007-01-25
> <http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070122/full/445347a.html>
>
> PR'S 'PIT BULL' TAKES ON OPEN ACCESS
> JOURNAL PUBLISHERS LOCK HORNS WITH FREE-INFORMATION MOVEMENT.
> Jim Giles

How sweet.  Rather than identifying and selling the value they add, they choose to engage in a propaganda campaign.  Well, that's certainly the sort of intellectual integrity *I'm* looking for in an academic publisher...

They aren't Big Tobacco and they aren't Big Oil.  This sort of strategy has some rather profound risks for them I would have thought.