[LINK] Question re mail addressing

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Feb 3 08:46:46 AEDT 2007

At 07:38 AM 3/02/2007, rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au wrote:
>>But he is receiving spam addressed to joebloggs51 at myisp.com
>><mailto:joebloggs51 at myisp.com> or joesblogg at myisp.com
>><mailto:joesblogg at myisp.com> etc
>>
>>The ISP describes it as dictionary spam where the spammer uses
>>every possible variation of a name in the hope of getting a hit and
>>they just let them through while filtering other spam.
>So the question is: how can the message arrive at my inbox if it
>doesn't have my address in the To: field? A mail server so badly
>configured that it delivers stuff to "nearby" addresses is hard to
>credit, so I am assuming that the spammer is obfuscating the To:
>field - is that possible?

A guess. His real email is hidden in a BCC area of the header and he
just doesn't see it.

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005