[LINK] Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sat Feb 3 13:56:08 AEDT 2007

Craig Sanders wrote:

> if global warming isn't happening and isn't caused by human use of fossil
> fuels, then why is so much money and effort being spent by the fossil fuel
> industry (and their servants in various governments) to dispute it?

This topic was examined and dissected in the film by Al Gore,
An Uncomfortable Truth.

Two surveys were done of literature and media, both scientific and
consumer:

(A) The survey of scientific literature found that there were NO
     papers/articles published by the scientific community that disputed
     global warming; rather, the phenomon was acknowledged and analysed
     throughout the scientific community.

(B) The survey of popular media (newspapers, magazines, TV) found that
     approx 56% of the articles examined disputed the veracity of the
     global warming (and also tended to use the term climate change instead --
     spin). The reason for this discrepancy? An active campaign funded
     by vested interests (Big Oil) to discredit the theory through popular
     culture and media.

But, I still like to keep in mind that the last ice age was some
10,000 yrs ago, and that we are in the midst of a natural global
warming cycle, one that will eventually end and reverse in some
100,000 yrs or so. That said, Gore points out that we are accelarating
the warming cycle exponentially.

cheers
rickw