[LINK] Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Tue Feb 6 14:25:59 AEDT 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Antony Barry wrote:

> On 06/02/2007, at 5:50 AM, Howard Lowndes wrote:
>
>> I recall seeing a television program a few years ago that discussed the
>> Dark Ages, and it seems that they really were the dark ages.  By doing
>> analysis of growth rings on old trees (mainly in the northern hemisphere)
>> they were able to determine that there was some cataclysmic event occurred
>> in about the mid 800s AD that lasted for about 20 years and resulted in
>> reduced plant growth and lowered global temperatures.
>
> Then there is the Toba hypothesis that explains the lack of human genetic
> diversity by the explosion of the Toba volcano ~70,000 years ago. The idea is
> that it almost wiped us out globally.
> <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/09/980908074159.htm>

In 540AD there was an explosive eruption of Krakatoa that supposedly
lead to the Dark Ages.

In the Biblical era of the Old Testament (about 5k years ago), there was
an eruption of I think it was Mt Etna that was supposedly responsible for
the various Moses stories, such as the Pillar of Fire, the parting of the
Red Sea (Reed Sea) and so on.

ABC (Compass) and SBS had some good docos about these a year or so ago....

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html