[LINK] OT(?) UDP above port 32767

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Wed Feb 7 12:15:23 AEDT 2007

Hi,

I've come across an odd problem and the usual resources (Google, uni
books) don't help me much.

Can some of you Unix elders explain to me why UDP traffic to/from ports
above or below 32767 should be treated differently by a firewall?
Specifically, what might be special about ports above this number which
makes the traffic permissable, where traffic involving a port below
32767 is blocked?

Linux selects a port above this magic number for my application to send
a UDP client request from, Windows does not.

Thanks in advance...

--
Daniel Rose
Business Systems Support