[LINK] The true cost of bottled water

Stewart Fist stewart_fist at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 8 11:18:31 AEDT 2007

Richard writes

> I have *never* understood the bottled water thing

Me either.  At one time I use to use the annual cost of bottled water and
chocolate Easter eggs as a unit of measure of frivolous expenditure, much
like the Economist uses the Mac hamburger index as a measure of exchange
rate.

This is about ten years old now, but my research at that time showed
Australian's paid about $300 million per year for each.

With the leaching of plasticisers into the water, such bottled water is
probably a lot more impure and potentially damaging to health than tap
water.

Part of the myth about tap water is that it contains chlorides (as does the
ocean), rust (which we need to stay healthy) and calcium carbonate (which we
need for bone structure).

With the exception of Adelaide we probably have the best and safest drinking
water in the world.

--
Stewart Fist, writer, journalist, film-maker
70 Middle Harbour Road, LINDFIELD, 2070, NSW, Australia