[LINK] why calm, rational thought is required....

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Feb 15 09:13:15 AEDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 08:01 +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> you make it sound as if i was disastrously wrong.

No - just suggesting that you should be careful with absolute
pronouncements, especially about what people think and feel.

> i don't think i was.  most people really do think of it as porn, and most
> think that the word erotica is just a polite euphemism.

You may think so. I doubt it. There's a useful distinction between the
two things. The "non violent erotica" industry in Australia generally
and in Canberra specifically, is responsible for some confusion on the
point, as they have striven for years to put a less unsavoury gloss on
the porn they produce.

> perhaps you should be careful of extrapolating from a sample of one.

I did no such thing. I used a sample of one to dispense with your
over-generalisation, no more.

> one man's porn is another man's erotica.  and vice-versa.

There are some people who would wolf down a Chateaubriand as if it were
a serve of chips, and no doubt some who could savour a Big Mac. That
doesn't make the difference disappear, as you seem to maintain.

Regards, K.