[LINK] Here's one that will snag a few

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Wed Feb 21 12:10:34 AEDT 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:01:19AM +1100, Karl Schaffarczyk wrote:
> I find that in my kitchen, that I couldn't clean it properly
> with fluoro lights. I just couldn't see. I currently run with an
> environment-ruining array of six Quartz Halogen lights - 55w each.
> Personally, I am happy to pay extra, even if a carbon tax is slapped
> on, so I can see properly. For me, I'd rather burn more dinosaurs than
> be sick.

now that's ridiculous. you might prefer how clean it looks when cleaned
under brighter light, but you're not going to get sick. in the avg
australian excessively clean, sterilised house you're far more likely to
get sick from an under-exercised immune system attacking your own body
than you are from catching some bug from a slightly dirty kitchen.

people today are paranoid about even minimal levels of dirt - due, no
doubt, to decades worth of advertising instilling a sense of fear and
loathing about dirt and bacteria...way out of all proportion to the
actual risk. so people poison their homes with toxic chemicals.

> rubbish. That extra heating in winter will be offset by aircon not
> needing to work as hard in summer ;)

also, the heating from incand. light bulbs is all up near the ceiling,
and has minimal effect on ground-level temperature.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

Theology is an attempt to explain a subject by men who do not understand
it.  The intent is not to tell the truth but to satisfy the questioner.
		-- Elbert Hubbard