IP addresses and personal information (was Re: [LINK] Fwd: On Line Opinion - 16 February 2007)

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Sat Feb 24 11:15:07 AEDT 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:
<snip>
>> b)how they derive gender and lifestyle attributes (but maybe this is
>> on the basis of the sites visited as a class and that it doesn't
>> matter whether the person is really a girl)
>

> What you're implying here, and I agree with you, is that the
> demographics that they supply to their clients aren't worth a brass
> razoo in terms of their accuracy.

not exactly. I am suggesting the labels are creative and used to
classify people which is a widespread practice.

Seniors, Young People, Wage Earners, Aspirational, Professional by
trying to classify their interests/behaviour/expenditure pattern. After
all, if you are selling a four wheel drive car, it may be pointless to
try to sell these people energy efficient light bulbs but you could try
to sell them your four wheel drive - or a sticker saying baby on board.
However, if someone is buying energy efficient light bulbs you might try
to sell them an energy efficient car or public transport.

On a slight aside, but a possible case study is the traffic jam in
Sydney on Tuesday night. Completely oblivious I set off to a dinner in
the opposite direction and wondered whether single people sitting in
cars banked up for kms was the common peak hour experience in this part
of town (in my experience, this is the case and so it takes a lot for me
to consider driving in peak hour). At the dinner it was pointed out that
this was the frenzy to see a ship docked at the Navy wharf. The frenzy
was a result of effective marketing, but perhaps the state government
should have got the promoters to fund/promote public transport as well -
guess they know that now. For others who are also oblivious see analysis
in today's weekend australian
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21275307-5006784,00.html>

Marghanita
--