Governance of Websites - Re: IP addresses and personal information (was Re: [LINK] Fwd: On Line Opinion - 16 February 2007)

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Feb 26 08:22:27 AEDT 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
>> There's plenty of ways of tracking actual users vs their IP addresses.
>> IP address is just another piece of information - normally hinting at
>> location (but TTL/RTT/path can also give some information out..)
>>
>> I suggest pulling apart some of the javascript goodies included on
>> various
>> pages to see how they're tracking "users". Google has this kind of
>> stuff down pat (and are able to correlate your searching habits with your
>> email, your location(s), perhaps whatever sites you visit which happen
>> to pop up through google-analytics, etc.)
>

> ...and that is one reason why I use the Noscripts Firefox extension and
> explicitly block google analytics...

To get the other perspective, at the end of March, I am facilitating a
workshop on
getting value from the time and money invested in online services

I am just finalising the content and would welcome comments.
Linkers can access the latest version of the slides with
username: link
password: link
at
<http://www.ramin.com.au/workshops/value-of-online-services.html>