[LINK] Unusual story - Alaskan arrested for using a library's wireless network out-of-hours

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Mon Feb 26 12:19:12 AEDT 2007

At 09:46 AM 26/02/2007, Stilgherrian wrote:
>On 26/2/07 9:29 AM, "Sandra Henderson" <SHENDERS at nla.gov.au> wrote:
> > http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/8667098p-8559268c.html
> > He's been accused of theft of services
> >
> > (he's 21, moderator of an online gaming site, but his parents don't let
> > him online after 9pm, which is why he was doing it from the library's
> > carpark instead!)
>
>Cool. At 21 years old he can invest in the share market, fight and die for
>his country, he can vote... he can even *gasp!* buy liquor. But God have
>mercy if *shock!* HE USES THE INTERNET AFTER 9PM!

You know what's even more stupid about this whole thing.

I noticed no on raised it.

The Wireless Internet Access at the library is FREE.  There are no charges
for it, so it appears.

How can you steal something that is free?

This is an absurd case of idiots in power yet again throwing their weight
around because they can and have forgotten to turn on the INTELLIGENCE
switch before getting out of their Trooper Car.

(sigh)

I'm not laughing any more.  I feel sorry for the guy, not because of his
parents, not because he appear addicted to gaming, but because he's become
a victim of abuse of process.