[LINK] saved from disaster by cell phone

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Feb 27 08:30:14 AEDT 2007

I remember we talked about the situation where the tourist didn't
make it out of the Oregon mountains last year. These climbers did.
Jan

>>  A radio beacon not much bigger than a cell phone helped save three
>>  climbers stranded overnight in a whiteout on Mount Hood.
>
>And now a pat on the back for Bob (and his coworkers):
>
>"...researchers placed over one thousand phone calls using a variety
>of Iridium and Globalstar satellite phones.
>
>"... 98.1 percent of calls on the Iridium handset and 36.2 percent
>of calls on the Globalstar handset were successfully connected and
>completed without being dropped during a three-minute period."
>
>We're still working on that pesky 1.9% (No, I'm not claiming credit
>for the Mt. Hood rescue.)
>
>http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070221/daw052.html?.v=48

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005