[LINK] Saving Water in Libraries via the Web

Stewart Fist stewart_fist at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 27 18:48:28 AEDT 2007

Richard is right on

> 1) Excess water at ground level lifts water table;
> 2) Rising water table brings salts towards the surface;
> 3) Vegetation suffers / dies, allowing water table to rise further;
> 4) Water table near surface evaporates, leaving salts behind.
> = Salinity.

My family part-owned a wheat farm in WA where the trees had been scrubbed
out, and the land was extraordinarily productive.

Or it was, until they got a few years of heavy rain after many years of only
moderate rainfall.  It was great for us, because a chain of lakes then
formed, and these were large enough to go water skiing.

Then the rest of the trees died off because of the salt, and the land died.

  The farm had to be sold off. It was useless.

--
Stewart Fist, writer, journalist, film-maker
70 Middle Harbour Road, LINDFIELD, 2070, NSW, Australia