[LINK] vista critique

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Fri Jan 5 11:38:38 AEDT 2007

At 09:19 AM 5/01/2007, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to
>provide content protection for so-called "premium content", typically HD data
>from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources.  Providing this protection incurs
>considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability,
>technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost.

I really find this kind of stuff insulting to what I perceive as the
average persons intelligence.

Most DVD players, and no doubt BluRay and HD-DVD have processors that are
far inferior to the normal PC.

You don't see DVD players with 1 Gig of Ram, 2 Gig CPU's and several
cooling fans.

That means that lesser power processors are doing the job of everything
described above without missing a beat.

Maybe it's time consumers whinged more about the overhead, and bought less
of the crud?