[LINK] electromagnetic fields effect brain activity

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Mon Jan 8 13:21:16 AEDT 2007

On 08/01/2007, at 12:34 PM, Eleanor Lister wrote:

> interesting article, it seems much more work needs to be done, as the
> scientific community does not seem to have consensus on this.

I think most of the health physics dosage stuff was done by tracking
Hiroshima survivors and trying to estimate their exposure and
following their subsequent health. The estimates would have been poor.

The other problem is the dosage response curve. The "official" view
is that it is linear <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_no-
threshold_model> but it may not be. Below a certain threshold there
may be no effect or it even may be beneficial. If you assume it's
linear then Chernobyl will produce hundreds of thousands of extra
cancer cases in Europe BUT they will be hidden in the much larger
number of naturally occurring cases and thence unmeasurable. It's not
like tobacco where the figures were obvious to anybody who looked and
was honest. So wildly different assertions can be made about death
rates.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au