[LINK] electromagnetic fields effect brain activity

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Jan 9 12:37:45 AEDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 12:18 +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> establishment. I had to laugh because the caller couldn't see her own
> bias when she 'swore' by the positive impact of these 'cures' based
> on some pseudo-'science' examples comparing the effects of potato
> skins on healing burns with no scars and no pain in 15 minutes. Of
> course she wouldn't listen to the show's compare, Lindy Burns (no
> pun, real name), who asked why scientific tests would be so wrong?

There have been a lot of real, rational, sceptical scientific studies
into the placebo effect, and the results can be truly startling. People
tend to forget the placebo effect.

What this says to me is that provided a remedy is at worst harmless,
there should be no problem with people taking that remedy, or even with
that remedy being prescribed to them, because it if they believe it will
help them then it very likely WILL help them, even if only by improving
their perceived well-being.

Such remedies only cause harm when they displace or interfere with
proven remedies (especially in the case of people in the care of others,
like children), or when they exploit the credulous.

Regards, K.