[LINK] UK government to create 'super websites'

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jan 11 08:18:17 AEDT 2007

> [Whitehall is to shut down 551 websites to make access to information
> easier for citizens and businesses, the minister for Transformational
> Government has said]

I don't for a moment suspect that the 551 old websites will be kept
around with appropriate redirects in place, as the few hundred thousand
pounds it might cost to do that properly will hurt some bureaucrat's
bottom line.

I wonder if forcing XX million people in the UK (and elsewhere)
to update their bookmarks or waste time with broken links on outside
sites that haven't been updated (and may not ever be) has been factored
into the costs involved with this?  I reckon that could work out at
nearly a billion pounds a year in lost or wasted time (say one hour
per person), at least for the first year.

Danny.