[LINK] UK government to create 'super websites'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jan 11 08:29:40 AEDT 2007

At 07:16 AM 11/01/2007, Antony Barry wrote:
>Perhaps it's the contrast between one resulting from bottom up
>cooperation and the other from central direction.

Tony, your point about pointing to someone else's work is also worth
putting into the mix as why you may feel more comfortable with
decentralised systems. It's why we like the Internet. If part of it
breaks, the whole thing doesn't collapse. Same with all centralised
monolithic systems (dare I say the proposed ID card?). Fewer points
of failure, perhaps, but that isn't always the most important factor.
I think many centralisers are mostly trying to reduce support
overhead. That's the point of many mergers, besides control. Roger
said it well: Will anyone ever re-discover diseconomies of scale and scope?

Speaking of control.....There is also the matter of who controls the
data. If it's centralised, whoever has the button in that spot makes
it on or off. If it's distributed, the control lies in the hands of the source.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005