'User Certs' [Was Re: [LINK] PayPal to combat phishing with key fobs

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sun Jan 14 17:07:29 AEDT 2007

Some observations about signing by users.

1.  In general I agree with what Craig says, but ...

2.  It's important to avoid the commonly-used shorthand, because it's
     misleading in an important manner.

     The certificate and the 'private digital signature key' need to be
     distinguished.

     All sentences that refer to 'something that the user knows' need to
     use the term 'private key' and the generation of a 'digital signature'.

     All sentences that refer to how the server-side / fin'l instn uses
     the digital signature to perform authentication of the client need
     to use the term 'certificate'.

     I know it's pedantic but it matters.  All manner of blunders are
     being made by user organisations, and by the under-educated sales
     people working for suppliers, because the language has been
     allowed to slip, and misinformation is being spread all over the
     place.

3.  A decade ago, when people mistakenly thought that PKI would help,
     I was deeply involved in a lot of work, variously consultancy and
     research.  These are about as crisp as anything I wrote back then:
     http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/DV/DigSig.html#Pte (1997)
     http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/DV/PKIPosn.html (1998)
     http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/ECIS2001.html (2001)

     The conclusion was, and remains:

"Conventional PKI involves enormous complexity, effort and expense,
in return for insecure protections, very weak evidence, and very
limited recourse. Both corporations and individuals, including
consumers, citizens, employees and contractors (especially those in
sensitive circumstances) should have serious doubts about schemes of
this nature being inflicted upon them."

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong