[LINK] PayPal phishing scam - is this a domain hijack

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Jan 19 16:25:15 AEDT 2007

Rick Welykochy wrote:

> If an attacked can change the hosts file on a victim's computer (!)

Of course, I meant "attacker" not "attacked".

> they can get them to use an ersatz website, e.g.
>
> 92.1.2.3   online.westpac.com.au

I just tried a fake https://online.westpac.com.au/ and it
worked. Using a local hosts file change. The cert warning
came up but I ignored it. Frightening stuff when you realise
there are millions of Windows boxes out there jsut waiting
for their hosts file to be silently modified.

cheers
rickw