[LINK] Re: Australian Government Web Accessibility Audit Findings, Canberra, 18 January 2007

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Jan 21 16:13:43 AEDT 2007

At 04:40 PM 1/8/2007, I wrote:
>Recommended:
>
>>Seventh Canberra WSG meeting ... 18 January ...

This was an excellent meeting, as is usual for the Web Standard
Group. These are some notes taken during the presentations:

>>First speaker: Alexi Paschalidis, Oxide Interactive Topic 1: Navy
>>web site redevelopment ...

Alex gave a passionate exposition on how to redevelop a web site
using web standards, the battle against those who just see the web as
a form of graphic design and the wishes of "corporate" for something
flashy and fleeting.

The Royal Australian Navy were one of the pioneers of web development
in the Australian Government. They had developed a web site of their
own <http://www.navy.gov.au/> before I initiated the project to
create the Defence Home Page
<http://www.tomw.net.au/papers/bpt.html>. The Navy seem to have
maintained their independent tradition with their own web site,
working alongside Defence's central site and Defence Recruiting.

A feature of the Navy site redevelopment is semantic consistency.
They are using Semantic XHTML with structural consistency; for
example a second level heading <h2> always has a first level heading
above it <h1>.

Images are important for the Navy, as might be expected with photos
of ships. But Alexi pointed out that photos of people are actually
more popular than those of equipment.

The Navy web site is relatively modest, with 2,500 static web pages
and 4,000 visitors a day (my web site gets about 1,000). Because of
the use of centralized maintenance there is no need for a CMS and the
staff code directly in HTML without the use of a web layout package.

Alexi argues that using Semantic XHTML (as emphasized in XHTML 2.0 )
cuts out many day to day design decisions is creating web pages.
Clearly he saw this as a positive feature (whereas some of the
creative types might see it as a negative). Some of the metadata for
the web pages can be inserted automatically from the content (for
example the TITLE from the H2 heading). There is minimal layout in
the HTML code, with this done in the CSS.

In place of the usual web development tools, the open-source revision
control system is used <http://subversion.tigris.org/>. This is
usually used by computer program developers to maintain multiple
versions of complex systems, but has been used for document editing,
but is also used in the ICE educational document creation system
<http://ptsefton.com/blog/2006/03/09/ice:_agile_publishing_(with_a_long_snout)>.
This allows for smart change control of the web site with detection
of conflicts between different updates.

Because the Navy have an emphasis on photography, the Navy site has a
special system for collecting the professional take photos and
uploading them to the web site. The system creates versions in
multiple resolutions and maintains the metadata from the originals.

Interestingly the Navy use Google, rather than their own search
software. They use the Google Public Service Search program
<https://services.google.com/pss_faq.html#1>. This provides the
Google search engine, tailored to the organisation's needs but
without ads. Given the importance of Google to Australian web sites
(discussed in a later talk below), this is a reasonable decision. But
it might be disappointing to Australian web search companies, such as
Public Service Search program enterprise search companies, such as
Funnelback <http://funnelback.com/>.

A little AI on the site's feedback form had allowed 80% of queries to
be answered automatically.

Alexi emphasized the need to educate the customers about the benefits
of using standards on web sites and the need to be vigilant about the
danger of  graphic designers being brought in to design web sites.
This and the frustration with senior executives wanting to make quick
changes are problems familiar to IT developers.

The Navy has to position its web site with the others of the Defence
portfolio, principally the central Defence site
<http://www.defence.gov.au/> and Defence Recruiting
<http://www.defencejobs.gov.au>. Some might ask why the Navy needs a
web site at all. However, having one large amorphous web site will
confuse the clients and lead to expensive extra layers of
coordination (as the UK Government is likely to find out in the next
year with its centralist push). An emphasis of Defence's at present
is recruiting (the Defence department advertise jobs on my web site
using Google AdSense <http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/adsense.shtml>).

The next version of the Navy web site will have the text rewritten
for the web (rather than just whatever was take from an existing
source). Consideration will be given to adding commonly used business
transactions and support for reserve personnel without access to the
Defence secure network (this was an issue ten years ago when I was at
Defence HQ).

Some items on the wish list were blog style pages (with moderation)
for a more personal view of the organisation, tags
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tags> and wiki style text based cross