[LINK] throw-away culture

rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 22 20:40:40 AEDT 2007

 From Kim:

>> Japan is having to seriously look at limiting waste.
>

> This is the solution and that will require limits on required
> packaging standards for foodstuffs as well as unnecessary packaging
> for non-foodstuffs, especially retail display focussed packaging, and
> the IT industry is one of the worse in that regard.

Indeed ... I am frequently flummoxed that Ethernet cables need at least
two layers of display packaging. We're talking about a quite dull and
strictly functional object here; yet in some outlets I find the outer
bubble-wrap plus a second layer of plastic, not counting the cardboard
in the plastic, just in case my brain went absent and I forgot that I
was buying an Ethernet cable!

RC