[LINK] Consumer computer security

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Jan 23 13:00:08 AEDT 2007

Alan L Tyree wrote:
<snip>
> Or this one with the same bank. Banking practice here made the fraud
> almost inevitable, and then the Victorian Court of Appeal let them get
> away with it:
> http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan/fraud-by-design.html
On the handful of occassions I ring my (not westpac) bank's telephone
call centre, the operator insists I have to set a password. When I
refuse, they set one for me, saying it will speed up future processing!
As I do not use Internet or Telephone banking - I am guessing/hoping
that if there is a fraud on my account, the issue will be resolved with
a minimum of fuss.

Note, I do have some confidence in my bank as they have detected and
addressed an Internet Fraud on my credit card.

With regard to physing, if a username/password is captured in a phishing
scam, don't they also
need to fake the IP address?

These thre reference may also be of help/interest

Banking on six pillars of safety
S Krishna Kumar, GM (IT) & CISO, SBI, has rested his security strategy
on six pillars of safety that include governance, risk assessment and
compliance
<http://www.networkmagazineindia.com/200605/coverstory22.shtml>

ANAO Audit Report. No.45 2005–06, Internet. Security in Australian.
Government Agencies.
<http://www.anao.gov.au/download.cfm?item_id=5F1E54451560A6E8AA801E391096ADB9&binary_id=5F1B90A11560A6E8AA5EF19DF05C180B>

and
<http://www.dcita.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/41311/IT_Security_Governance_CIO_Executive_Summary.pdf>