[LINK] The cost of monoculture

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Jan 31 08:42:23 AEDT 2007

grove at zeta.org.au wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>
>> The same applies here as it does to a mono-culture in the biosphere: one
>> virulent pests can wipe out the whole lot. Although in this case it would
>> be one virulent pest wiping out another 8-)
<snip>
> I foresee a time when most IT graduates will know nothing of other OS
> philosophies
> and their roles will be eventually dumbed down to the same level of
> mobile phone sales persons.    Australia is fast becoming a "shop front"
> economy and MS is helping keep us there, by stifling innovation and
> providing products that are "just good enough" and locking the users
> into a treadmill of mediocrity, when we could all really do so much more.
weird, but 25  years ago  as a new IT graduate I came out espousing the
virtues of Unix and IBM was the "Evil" empire.

But in the real world, the vendors all had their own versions of Unix
and pushed proprietary operating systems and network protocols. Then the
Internet, Apache, Linux came along.

Some interesting figures here.
<Market Share for Top Servers Across All Domains August 1995 -January 2007>
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz