[LINK] Solution to SPAM checking

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Wed Jan 31 21:53:52 AEDT 2007

I don't know why I haven't thought of this before, years before.  Maybe it
was spurred by the recent two days of trials where the prosecutor was
trying to say that on one hand there was something and someone was getting
something, and on the other and the someone wasn't getting anything.

Anyway, it occurred to me that when an email is sent, .the SMTP server
connects with the remote server and says "Hello I am me, and I have a
message for you from XYZ"

What doesn't happen though is the receiving server doesn't say "Just a sec,
I want to see if you are really who you say you are and you really do
represent what you claim to represent."

If the RX SMTP server were to check the path of incoming mail or even
connect to the "reply address" to ensure that it was legitimate and valid
and was in fact related to the DNS records for the originating domain, then
SPAM would vanish over night.

You couldn't use a fraud sender address, as the check would show that the
SMTP server talking and the SMTP server authoritive for the proper sender
was different.  Even in a relay situation, MX records should generally
resolve that.

Anyway, just a thought.  It's a "way too big" to solve problem and no one
really cares enough to stop SPAM being sent, people just want to filter it
when it's delivered.