[LINK] How far the fibre?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jul 2 10:11:32 AEST 2007

At 09:37 AM 2/07/2007, Karl Auer wrote:

>Not at all. But putting good broadband into those communities may well
>the very basis for changes, markets and economic growth in those areas
>that lead one day to those areas having such things. Who knows? What I
>do maintain, very strongly, is that at very least getting broadband into
>remote areas will change our cities for the better by encouraging
>skilled, non-agricultural development to move out of the cities.

I can somewhat buy this, but not completely. Adding highspeed
broadband, or even lowspeed, may not be the catalyst for Positive
change that these communities need at all. Communities must examine
their situations holistically. If you added an attractive
communications system -- ie build it and they will come -- are the
other infrastructure elements also going to be available/provided?
Are there sustainability limits? Is there enough water? electricity?
housing? schools? healthcare? Or are many places in a stasis where
those things are balanced based on the physical limits?

Sort of like the current Howard Folly of sending in the troopers for
six months and then walking away after the election. So, the kids and
parents are punished through withholding of welfare benefits
(possibly/probably their ONLY income) because kiddies don't go to
schools. Oh, the schools don't exist? Too bad. State/territory
problem. sounds of hand washing.

How about some consideration of priorities before putting the money
into white elephants?

Jan
PS: I'm being a bit provocative here, but with a serious mention of
rational consideration of the use of public funds.

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005