[LINK] How far the fibre?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Jul 3 09:03:35 AEST 2007

Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:39:29AM +1000, Eric Scheid wrote:
>> On 2/7/07 11:16 AM, "Craig Sanders" <cas at taz.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>> if you asked the people living out there, they'd say they'd rather
>>> have a hospital or a doctor. even a nurse would be an improvement
>>> over the nothing they have now.
>> and not tele-medicine provided via fat broadband?
>
> not very useful for acute appendicitis, or a car crash, or poisoning or
> any of the many other things that require on-the-spot expertise, right
> now...rather than booked days or weeks in advance.
>
> not terribly useful for surgery, either. even if tele-operated devices
> became good enough to be useful for general surgery, it would require a
> huge investment in the required equipment....and that just isn't going
> to happen in a tiny remote community, any more than the govt. is going
> to build a fully equipped hospital in a tiny remote community.
>
> craig

Before we get carried away about remote medicine, There is one other relevant
aspect and many say a priority. In NZ - homebirths and midwife attendance are
covered by medicare, but not so in Australia. The cost and convenience
implications are significant.

Note, this is definitely off topic - and if anyone wants to discuss I suggest
you get in contact with the Australian homebirth Association AND the Royal
College of Obstetricians.

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: 0414 869202