[LINK] How far the fibre?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Jul 3 09:50:05 AEST 2007

rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Eric Scheid wrote:
>> On 2/7/07 11:16 AM, "Craig Sanders" <cas at taz.net.au> wrote:
>>

>>> if you asked the people living out there, they'd say they'd rather have
>>> a hospital or a doctor. even a nurse would be an improvement over the
>>> nothing they have now.
>>>

>> and not tele-medicine provided via fat broadband?
>>
> Ok, I'll try to catch the ball and toss it back.
>
> One thing we can do is separate the components, so to speak. I'm going
> to put two statements which I think can be accepted by most people.
> 1) Satellite is a mature and stable point-to-point technology; but
> 2) Satellite is not great for interactive Internet applications.

I have been contemplating this second statement/assumption, prior to your
posting. Can we be more specific. If I enter a search string in Google I don't
get an instant response. If I click on a link on the results page I don't get an
instant response and only after upgrading to Knoppix 5.1, can I now see DCITA
webpages, such as <http://www.dcita.gov.au/indigenous_programs>

> Well: satellite is already in use for telemedicine and tele-education.
> So by saying "some places won't see fibre anytime soon" I am *not*
> saying "no advanced applications". They exist and are used (and are
> funded but not as well as they could be).
>
> See:
> http://www.assoa.nt.edu.au/
> for a School of the Air example. Telemedicine seems very decentralised,
> so I can't quickly find a directory of live apps.
>
> My point is that while Internet delivery may improve these applications,
> it is not indivisible from them. In the case of telemedicine, I would
> argue that at least in diagnostic applications, the "best case" is a
> high-capacity clear channel link, not an Internet service ... but that's
> a digression.
>
> What I'm getting at is that you get a better result if you define
> requirements before you build the system. Boring and pragmatic and
> visionless it may be, but saying "what are the requirements?" might
> actually get somewhere for the far-distant outstations and aboriginal
> communities in a reasonable timeframe.
>
> RC
>> ;-)

Marghanita da Cruz