[LINK] The ZIP email and the PDF email

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Jul 3 10:04:18 AEST 2007

Craig Sanders wrote:

> zip files, especially password protected ones, are likely to be viruses.
> they're pw-protected so that anti-virus scanners can't open and scan
> them. it's a social-engineering attack, relying on stupid users to
> follow the instructions in the email.

In the case I raise, the ZIP file is auto-open and contains
an executable. Nasty for those who click on it in Windows.
Zombie Science, anyone?

> PDFs could be a virus or trojan, or they could be spam. image-spammers
> (mostly pump-and-dump stock-market scammers, and pill spammers) have
> moved on from gif and jpg, and are now using PDF files.

Heavens help us ... don't tell me that PDFs on Windows can contain
exeuctables or executable code or macros. Perhaps I had better ask:

How is a virus or trojan transmitted via a PDF file? And on which
systems?

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking
about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
      -- George W Bush, Washington DC, 20040805 (http://www.dubyaspeak.com/)