[LINK] US-AMA far too complacent about human RFID tags

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Wed Jul 4 00:08:41 AEST 2007

rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Geoffrey,
>>
>> As I have already commented before, I see it as inevitable. To manage
>> our growing sophisticated, complex and mobile society and risks, more
>> automated identification will become essential. It will be impossible
>> to remain anonymous.
> Let's touch on inevitability.
>
> Authority: You will  be implanted.
> Richard: Get lost.
>
> OK. Now what?
>
> Without coercion, there is no inevitability. With coercion? Well, I
> for one resist coercion for any reason, even if it's supposedly in my
> benefit. To quote Nietzche, "'For you own good' is the first
> expression of the will to power".
>
> Coercive power to enforce something like implanted RFID is completely
> repellant, regardless of the reasoning behind it.
>
> RC
I did mean to imply coercion. I am arguing that people will take up the
technology because they will want its benefits, and they will perceive
these benefits to outweigh its risks or it will "enhance" their life. I
also don't see it as "authority" imposing its will (us against them), I
see it as people making choices to use the technology (or not). Just
like I choose to have a mobile phone and credit card. As new technology
comes alone to make my liver easier. I choose to use Internet banking,
though I am aware of the risks. One day, I may choose to have a medical
implant, as I will perceive this as being able to save my life. And
there will no doubt be people, like you, who choose not to have one
(Quakers also come to mind) and thats fine, I just see this as the
minority and against the trend.

Maybe I should have rephrase my comments as "it is inevitable that
people will want to voluntarily take up the technology"

Reg
Geoffrey Ramadan